Monday, November 3, 2008

Starting from Scratch

My first day back to running turned into an adventure! I was so psyched up I doubt I would have noticed if it broke all over again. I also have my fabulous new Nike+iPod system which I've been dying to play with. I don't have the Nike+ shoes; I'm a New Balance girl and my shoes are pretty much new, so I'm not about to go out and buy another pair. I used a little Velcro (left over from my boot!) to stick the sensor to the tongue of my shoe under the laces. I set my iPod for a twenty minute workout, intending to walk 5, run 10 and walk 5. My leg isn't as strong as it was, but I knew that, and honestly, I felt GOOD when I started back up my street.
That's where my adventure began. I was wearing a hoodie with pockets - pockets that didn't close. And on my way out the door I tossed my keys in my pocket. They weren't there anymore. There was a lot of swearing before I turned around, but I didn't have much choice, I either had to retrace my steps or break a window - I didn't even have a card to bust in the back door (that's a whole other story). So I walked. And walked. The Nike+ system gives you time updates - "Five minutes remaining." When you've past your goal it tells you how many minutes you are past your goal. I found the keys on Beverly in Kimberly Heights, right around thirty-five minutes (fifteen minutes past my goal). The interesting thing about looking for keys on a bright, sunny, fall day is that while you think they'd be easy to spot, being shiny metal. Dry leaves are actually shiny when the sun hits them, which I either didn't realize or pay attention to prior to today.
When it was all said and done I'd been out for 47 minutes total (twenty-seven minutes past my goal) and covered 2.73 miles - the last quarter mile very slowly because I did start to hurt toward the end. A little ice and resting for the amount of time its taken me to write this post and I'm not in any pain, nor does my foot appear to have suffered irreparable damage. Today's lessons seem to be: you don't really know your limits until they've been tested. And HANG ON TO YOUR KEYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment